Earlier this month, I finally redeemed the very generous gift for my 40th birthday from Humu and her mom: a trip to Hawaii for Humu and me!
The first question everyone asks is “Which islands?” Oahu, Hawaii (“The Big Island”), Maui.
The next question is usually “Where did you stay?” Waikiki, Kailua-Kona, and north of Lahaina (which were the fancy accommodations of the trip–it was a Westin resort).
“Have you ever been before?” Nope. First time for me. (Humu lived there as a child for a year and had been there once before as an adult.)
“What did you do?” Too much to answer, but some highlights were:
- Volcanoes National Park: hiking, driving, pit craters, caldera, lunar-like lava, all of it
- seeing the sun set over the ocean from the patio at Don The Beachcomber’s in Kailua-Kona
- watching ridiculously large waves at the beach near Mama’s Fish House on Maui
- seeing a whale…from the window of the inter-island flight
- seeing college friends who live on Oahu, seeing a friend who used to live in San Francisco who now lives on Maui, and meeting a childhood friend of Humu’s who now lives on Oahu
- spending time with Humu somewhere where we (mostly) weren’t thinking about work, what needs to be done with the house, and wedding planning
“Where are the pictures?” Alas, I’m not much of a shutterbug. The only picture I took was of a display in one of the airports. It was about macadamia nuts and the display prominently featured a recipe.
“Did you have a good time?” It was amazing! Thanks, Humu + Schmama!